Sunday, July 27, 2014

July 21, 2014

Well this week was crazy busy! We went to Return and Report in Boston on Wednesday which included a trip to the temple! We spent the day doing training both for the new missionaries and for the trainers. We went through all the basics of missionary work. Even as a trainer, it's a good refresher. President Packard talked with us about our temple covenants and then we went to the temple! I love the Boston temple. It's so beautiful inside and out. It's nice to be able to go every once in a while. 

Thursday we had a zone conference which was also great. It was long though....we got to the chapel at 8:30 am and didn't leave until 5:00 pm. We talked a lot about how we can help prepare people with baptismal dates for their baptisms. We talked about allllll the things we need to do to help them. It was a good training, but it was looooooong. And Sister B and I were still tired from our all day training from the day before.
Friday we had another meeting! And more training! Luckily it was just district meeting, which we do every week. And it was just in the morning haha 

We had another lesson with J though. It was awesome! We talked about the Restoration with him. We taught him with our Ward Mission Leader, H who's getting ready to go on a mission. It's fun to see him get so excited about missionary work. We're trying to get him as involved in the missionary process as much as we can so he'll be prepared for his mission. He'll be the best prepared missionary ever! He helped us plan for the lesson with J and after the lesson we talked about what we should do next. So next lesson we'll be talking about how to recognize the spirit! And J said he will come to church this Sunday. He couldn't go yesterday unfortunately, but he wants to go next week and he's going to bring his friend M.

We also received a referral from the office a few days ago. Somebody called the mission office and left a message in Spanish. Sister V, the missionary who works in the office called us and said all she could make out was J, Hartford and Hospital. So she called us and left the name and number. We called and as it turns out, J, a member from the other stake in Connecticut has a Catholic friend in the hospital here in Hartford and he wanted a priesthood blessing. So we went and visited him with our Branch President and H yesterday to give him a blessing and, of course, a Book of Mormon. He's going into surgery today. I'm not 100% sure exactly what for (he told us, but medical language in english is hard to follow sometimes, let alone in spanish haha) but we're hoping everything turns out okay for him. Hopefully he'll want to meet with us more and we can share the gospel with him and his family!

O is doing well too. We had a lesson with them yesterday. We walked into their apartment and both O and R were sitting on their couch with electric guitars in their laps, watching a YouTube video on how to play American Woman. They just decided to buy electric guitars one day, but were confused as to why it sounded so bad when they played. Well, we helped them tune their guitars so hopefully American Woman will sound right :)
We had a good lesson though. We talked about how to receive revelation. O's problem right now is that he is looking for signs, so we tried to help him understand that the spirit doesn't always work through signs. We talked about how the spirit talks to our minds and our hearts and how it's different for everyone and different for every circumstance, but how we can find answers through the scriptures and through spiritual promptings. It was a good lesson. O promised to read the Book of Mormon everyday to find his answer.
Okay, can we take just a moment to freak out that I'm turning 21 in just a matter of days? I was thinking about that a lot this morning. I'm turning 21. I guess for whatever reason there's a bigger difference in my mind between 20 and 21 than between 19 and 20, but holy cow! I'm turning 21!
Also the number of days left before the second coming of your daughter are dwindling. The hour is not yet, but nigh at hand.

Yesterday was a bit of a stressful day. One of the downsides to not having the elders in our branch AND training, is there's no one else to translate. And of course, I'm the only one who plays the piano. The first part of sacrament meeting was stressful. I was trying to get the translating equipment to work and then all the sudden I had to play the piano. Then the stake president showed up so I needed to be translating for him, then the ward clerk was out of town so I had to take attendance. And my companion was giving a talk. When in doubt, ask the missionaries! Hahaha but it's those days that make me LOVE being a missionary. It's a fun stress. 

Well I love you all so much!  I hope you all have a great week!

Hermana Hutchinson

No comments:

Post a Comment